Unless you are living in a huge bubble of denial, I think we can all agree that plastic products are generally bad! From the harmful toxins emitted during production to the number of years they take to breakdown in our landfills, plastics have a negative impact on the earth. One time use plastics are washing up on shores around the world. Even worst, they are being found in the bellies, around the necks and in the noses of our aquatic life. It’s time to take a step back and look for alternatives to these products, and bamboo is proving to be a solid answer. Bamboo is an eco-friendly alternative to many everyday products. A person could write a book on the benefits of bamboo from products produced, jobs created and positive environmental impact but I’m going to simplify it down to small life changes.
- Bamboo absorbs carbon dioxide and release 35% more oxygen into the atmosphere than an equivalent stand of hardwood trees.
- It can be harvested in 3-5 years depending on the species. When harvested it will grow a new shoot from the same root system leaving no need for replanting.
- Bamboo is a grass not a tree. It is naturally organic and dos not require pesticides, fertilizers or irrigation to enhance growth. It instead grows like a weed.
- It is antibacterial & hypoallergenic.
- Bamboo can replace virtually all wood applications.
- Bamboo is becoming more and more popular for replacing everyday plastic and packaging products.
Economic Development – “Green Gold”
- The future in home flooring and potential building industry
- Health and beauty products made of bamboo charcoal
- Replacement of unrecyclable products such as toothbrushes and shopping bags
- The Bamboo Bicycle project is an excellent example of economic potential
My mission this year is to make a large impact one person and one small change at a time. I am a firm believer that if we all live a little better each day our children will benefit from a much better future than they are on path for right now. Here are three easy changes you can make to your everyday life.
- Replace your plastic toothbrush with bamboo.
- Say no to plastic straws.
- Carry a refillable water bottle with you everywhere you go. Stop buying plastic water bottles.